Diabetes Food for Thought
Diabetes is a very common illness around the world due to what we eat and do.
Read What is diabetes and insulin sensitivity to understand more about diabetes
A lot of people know about food that can help with lowering blood glucose level, prevention of chronic illness and many other benefit.
Just do a simple search and you can find plenty of article about the kind of food to eat, while doing research for this post I found that most of the article gave a long list fill with food that are expensive or hard to source for.
A idea stuck me to write a post about food that can be included into our everyday meals and won't burst the wallet.
Let me start with what to reduce and increase in our daily intake
- High Sugar (Read about sugar here)
- High carbohydrate
- Trans fat
- Process & canned food
- Food with protein
- Soy products (without added sugar)
- Healthy fats
- Unsaturated fats
- Fibrous food
- Soluble fibre (Oatmeal, nuts, apple, blueberries)
- Insoluble fibre (skin of fruits, brown rice)
Food for thoughts
For type 2 diabetes these food will stabilise the blood glucose level and other complication from diabetes.
Just a side note, any food is to be eat in moderation, do not eat them excessively just because it is good for your health. There is a saying "too much of a good thing is bad for you"
Although my list is short I feel it is enough for everyday consumption without bursting your wallet.
The most common fruit you can find.
- It contain antioxidant that lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
This is quite common too
- Antioxidant - Anthocyanins
- High fiber contents
- Keep blood glucose level stable
- Healthy snack
These are usually go with sandwich, salad or blend with milk to make avocado milk.
- Unsaturated vegetable fats
- Lower the percentage of developing type 2 diabetes
- High fat content, eat in moderation
Let's take a look at the green side
First is these few which contain Beta carotene an antioxidant that protect cells from free radical damage which contribute to chronic illness.
Broccoli Carrot Spinach Pumpkin
- Antioxidant - Glutathione
- Easing effect of many disease
- Antioxidant - Lycopene
- Help fight inflammation
- low calories snack
- Slow development of heart disease and stroke which usually tag along with diabetes
- Good source of fiber, potassium and folate
- High flavonoid content which will lower the risk of chronic illness
- Regulate blood glucose level
- Lower blood glucose level
Fish - Salmon/Mackerel/Sardines
- Low in unhealthy saturated fat and cholesterol
- Good source of omega-3 fatty acids which lower the risk of some diseases
Rice - Brown rice/Oats
- High fiber content
- Keep you full longer
Dark Chocolate - 70% without added sugar
- Lower stress
- increase insulin sensitivity
- reduce insulin resistances
- antioxidant, anticancer, antiviral , anti high cholesterol
- help stop and reverse the progression of chronic illness
- eat in moderation
Natural Peanut Butter
- Help slow digestion
- Keep you full longer
I hope this article can help everyone out there to make a better choice and be more healthy.